I love soup, but that’s not the case for my household, so to find a soup that my whole family loves was a challenge. But after I stumbled upon a similar recipe a few years ago and tweaked it to my family’s liking…it was a winner! My husband isn’t a soup person at all, but eagerly awaits this hearty soup. So when I was switching out my usual dairy, I decided to not say a word and just see if he noticed….he didn’t notice but my stomach was doing a happy dance!When our family was first trying out Planet Oat Oatmilk, I decided to buy a variety of them. Our family’s hands-down favorite is the Dark Chocolate (because duh! chocolate!). But there’s a Planet Oat for every palate! The flavors right now are Original, Extra Creamy, Vanilla, and Dark Chocolate and they are all free of dairy, gluten, soy, and peanuts. Planet Oat is available nationwide at Kroger, Shaw’s, Amazon Fresh, and other major retailers.
3/4 cup uncooked wild rice blend
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 clove garlic, minced
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning spice mix
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts halves
6 Tbsp Olive Oil
5 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
4 Cups of Planet Oat Extra Creamy Oatmilk
1 tsp lemon zest
- Prepare rice according to directions listed on the package.
- Halfway through the rice cooking, in a separate large pot, add 2 Tbsp Olive Oil over medium heat. Add in onion, carrots, and celery and sauté until slightly tender, add in garlic in the last 30 seconds of sautéing.
- Add chicken broth and spices. Increase heat to medium-high, add chicken (make sure all is covered by broth) and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid and boil 12 – 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken, allow to cool 5 minutes and then shred into bite-size pieces. Reduce heat to low and add cooked rice and shredded chicken to the pot.
- In another pan or pot, add the 6 Tbsps of Olive Oil and heat it at medium to high heat.
- As the oil heats, add the flour and whisk vigorously. Add in the Extra Creamy Planet Oat Oatmilk all at once and continue to whisk, allow the sauce to gradually thicken. Allow to boil to reach the desired thickness.
- When you’ve reached the desired thickness (the sauce will thicken more as it cools), add the oatmilk mixture to soup mixture pot and cook about 5 minutes longer, or until soup is thickened. Stir in lemon zest.
- Serve warm and enjoy!